Exciting. My sister, Elaine, mi madre, and I headed down to SB at 3 AM on Thursday. We sifted our way through a winding 101, ash clouds just south of Watsonville, and a groggy Pismo beach breakfast to finally get to a cool, calm, beautiful UCSB campus.
The girls couldnt wait to drop me off, and there I was, left all alone on this huge campus at 8:00 AM. I walked and walked and walked and walked until I found the meeting hall. Then all the Poli-Sci majors got together. Met some new friends, mainly all from SoCal, all of whom were surprisingly shocked at my overuse of "hella". Hahaha, it was sooo hilarious- they've never heard it in their lifetimes, and they just listened and observed like I was some kind of foreign animal. Well I probably was super foreign, if not the fact that i was one of the handful of asians, and also because I said hella words like hella.
That night, we went to venture into the small neighboring town of Isla Vista. This totally unassuming hitch of a town was quaint and comfy, and I look forward to spending many a coffee break here in a couple months. Elsa and I were on the verge of getting new tattoos! ALMOST, almost.
Well orientation was wonderful, and in my spare time i took a 5 minute walk down to the beach to relax. My only complaint would have to be sharing a dorm and a bathroom. Although there are only four people to a bathroom, it just felt as grimy and uneasy as a port-a-potty. My roommate went to sleep at 9, and woke up at 4. BUT I cant start complaining now, I have a whole year ahead of me.
The closet is teeny weeny compared to my huck of stuff I can't leave in San Jose. I'm getting a load of complaints from my parents to pack in seasons, and to filter out my clothes everytime I return home. But I cant possibly do that, considering that SB weather fluctuates from the nippiest of winters to the stickiest of summers. And that is my excuse :)
I'm excited, scared, nervous, and happy all at the same time. We'll see what happens in September. Two months till move in date!
- D. Nizzle
Sunday, July 13, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment