Tuesday, February 9, 2010



The next generation of connected devices- humans.


My daily run through the NY Times, and this is what most caught my eye. It stood against contending pillars of the Kremlin elections and economy crises and yet I was so meticulously interested by this article.

Wortham chronicles the lightning speeds at which our generation has embraced, embodied, and became devoted to home tech systems. This includes, but will never be limited to- text bills, game subscriptions, and home cinemas. In such a state of economic uncertainty, people are spending excessive amounts of money on concerts and emails from the luxury of their couch.

But 'why', is the question. Most times, we don't even realize the Cox connection costs as much as it does. Nor does our iPhone ever tell us we've gone 3 hours over our 3g internet contract (oops). Yet most Americans think this fatal attraction to all things tech and wireless is completely normal. I'm making an active, alive, and kicking effort to reduce my phones, cables, and gas guzzling bills! The futile dollars saved per month on useless tech attachments contributes to larger savings for rent.

Ultimately, this is a letter severing my relationship with excessive subscriptions to 3g, purple berry connections. I'm sorry. It was fun while it lasted, but alas- I'm broke and starving. When it comes down to it, 2 options stand in the corner of the ring of the tech addicted 21st century- gaming on the couch or starving on the couch. I choose to fix the latter, as heart breaking as it may sound.

Love and the soon to be texting-iTouch-emailing absentee,
Daisy


P.S. If you liked this- you will definitely want to asses your self with this.

No comments: